Monday, January 22, 2007

KFC & The Colonel's Creed revisited


Yes, I broke my internet hiatus after a mere 10 days but I'll address that in another post. A very close acquaintance of mine, M, once told me of a fairly unbelievable corporate policy. She told me that a few years back (maybe 10) at an Oregon gas station a hobo walked up to her car and told her that the old man Colonel Harland Sanders, on his death bed, decreed that if any man, woman, or child came into any of his restaurants hungry and penniless they can fill up on the Colonel's chicken at no cost. This was called the "Colonel's Creed". Well, I found this a bit, ahem...hard to swallow so I googled the Colonel's Creed to see if there was any truth to it beyond hobo legend. I was originally (Summer 2005) unable to find any references to it but when I tried again last night I found a single reference on a Lollapalooza forum (12th posting down) from October 2006 which contained the following passage:

"A rainbow person taught me the Colonels Creed..... Long story short: Go to KFC, ask for food, tell em you have no money & they have to give you something. WHY you ask, cuz when the Colonel died he put in his will that KFC must feed the poor & hungry. I never actually did it."

If anyone else has heard of this creed, or better yet, eaten free chicken from KFC after pleading poverty, I would love to hear about it. If it is, in fact, true and legally bound in company policy it may be time to dump those Yum! Inc. (KFC, Taco Bell, A&W, Pizza Hut,etc.) stocks and erect a giant drumstick monument in honour of the benevolent Colonel.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

C'mon it's an urban myth, and a weak one at that. If it was true they'd be out of business. Your the damn journalist- put on a pair of torn rugby pants, head on down to k-fry on Hastings and find out for yourself.

Kid Happy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kid Happy said...

The closest thing I have heard to this "legend" is the horrifying "Prime Time Axiom". Down on the corner of Caroll and Cordova is one of Gas Town's landmarks: Prime Time Chicken. They *do* have a feed the homeless program and I have born witness to the grim spectacle.

It works like this: They take one of the deepfriers and fill it with a bucket of chicken meat. This cooks for two minutes and then, the needy may pull out as much chicken as they can, barehanded. The episode I got to see (while dining on some of the creamiset potato salad ever to grace a styrofoam tub) had a three toothed wobbler make four attempts at a piece, going so far as too get elbow deep with one dive, before he gave up with a scream that continues to live with me to this day.

Two days later I saw him down in one of the alleys dining on the fried skin that was once his forearm. I guess it wasn't a total loss for him and I continued home, smiling inside....

CT Bon said...

you sick fuck.

Kid Happy said...

get used to me being here. Price you pay for using my left testis name for you blog...

CT Bon said...

what's the other one's name? The Crustin' Raisin?

Kid Happy said...

"the *other* white meat"

Suzy Perplexus said...

Trick question. There is no right one.